Michelle Barnes Attorney Profile
Experience makes the difference
Michelle Barnes has 25 years of experience in a successful, litigation based practice, and has been at the top levels of the field. She limits the number of cases she will accept to insure that she can take the time to research your situation completely. Every case is handled and prepared as if it will go to trial with attention to details that you deserve.
Michelle spent 12 years as a successful trial attorney before running for election as State’s Attorney. Michelle was the twice-elected State’s Attorney for Dorchester County. Being able to bring the experience as the top law enforcement officer is significant to the preparation of your case. Michelle knows not just how the prosecution thinks and prepares from her years of experience, she has spent that time involved with other elected State’s Attorneys discussing policies and directions and individual needs of the various offices. She knows what goes on behind the scenes and will use that knowledge to best prepare your case. Michelle handled the most serious cases in court and every type of felony in her many jury trials as State’s Attorney.
Michelle has also spent 8 years as a Division Chief in the Maryland Attorney General’s Office. As the one in charge of the Environmental Crimes for the state of Maryland, Michelle has an intimate and detailed knowledge of the court system and has practiced in almost every county in Maryland. She worked with great intensity in the environmental regulations of Maryland, as well as with the Maryland Department of the Environment and the Department of Natural Resources. She understands how matters are handled and brings that expertise to you.
Michelle has handled thousands of cases in court and tried over 300 jury trials. She is not afraid to try your case. She has won cases on both sides of the table, in the civil arena, and in criminal cases as both a criminal prosecutor and defense attorney. She knows how to handle your case. … whether the right outcome for you is by using kid gloves or a heavyweight and aggressive approach, she has the know how to approach your case in a way that is in your best interest.
Michelle’s experience and expertise in a courtroom will benefit you no matter what type of court case you have. You want Michelle in your corner when you are facing a courtroom.
- Thousands of courtroom hearings and cases. Over 300 jury trials, everything from DWI to Environmental matters, from Drug Kingpin to Murder and everything in between.
- Handled hundreds of juvenile court matters for more than 10 years as a defense attorney. As State’s Attorney, she ran the Juvenile division and handled all of the Juvenile Court matters. She was a founding member of the Teen Drug and Alcohol Prevention Task Force in Dorchester County.
- Implemented a Criminal Mediation Program at the State’s Attorney’s Office-the first of its kind on the Eastern Shore. Michelle is also a certified mediator.
- First chairperson for the Dorchester County Child Fatality Review Team.
- Former member of the Dorchester County Drug Task Force.
- Tried and won the first ever Shaken Baby Syndrome case in Dorchester County, against medical experts considered foremost in the country.
- Tried and won the first ever Drug Kingpin case in Dorchester County.
- Exceeded all prior environmental benchmarks for Maryland’s Environmental Crimes while in the Attorney General’s Office, working in all types of environmental media.
- Co-founder of Chesapeake Bay Environmental Coalition, which brought together environmental local, state and federal agencies for review and strategy meetings.
- Worked with the Department of Natural Resources and tried the first criminal MLEIN radar system illegal poaching case in Maryland.