Experience makes the Difference
Michelle Barnes has 25 years of experience in a successful, litigation based practice, and has been at the top levels of the field. She limits the number of cases she will accept to insure that she can take the time to research your situation completely. Every case is handled and prepared as if it will go to trial with attention to details that you deserve.
Michelle spent 12 years as a successful trial attorney before running for election as State’s Attorney. Michelle was the twice-elected State’s Attorney for Dorchester County.
Being able to bring the experience as the top law enforcement officer is significant to the preparation of the most complex criminal cases. Michelle knows not just how the prosecution thinks and prepares from her years of experience, she has spent that time involved with other elected State’s Attorneys discussing policies and directions and individual needs of the various offices. She knows what goes on behind the scenes and will use that knowledge to best prepare your case. Michelle handled the most serious cases in court and every type of felony in her many jury trials as State’s Attorney.
Michelle has been successfully handling family law cases in all areas from visitation to custody to divorce. Michelle has been successful in trials for custody of parents and third parties, as well as cases for parents and third parties seeking visitation. Michelle also handles other areas of family law such as adoption and guardianship, or protective or peace order filings.
Michelle has successfully helped those with personal injury cases and other litigation based cases get the outcomes they deserve, even when those on the other side are trying to deny adequate compensation.
Michelle has also spent 8 years as a Division Chief in the Maryland Attorney General’s Office, in charge of the entire state. Michelle has an intimate and detailed knowledge of the court system and has handled cases all over the State of Maryland.
Michelle has handled thousands of cases in court and tried over 300 jury trials. She is not afraid to try your case. She has won cases on both sides of the table, both in the civil arena, and in criminal cases as both a criminal prosecutor and defense attorney. She knows how to handle your case. … whether the right outcome for you is by using kid gloves or a heavyweight and aggressive approach, she has the know how to approach your case in a way that is in your best interest.
Michelle’s experience and expertise in a courtroom will benefit you no matter what type of court case you have. You want Michelle in your corner when you are facing a courtroom.
- Thousands of courtroom hearings and cases. Over 300 criminal jury trials, everything from Murder, Assault to Murder, Possession to Drug Kingpin cases, Shoplifting to Bank Robbery and everything in between.
- Handled hundreds of juvenile court matters and ran juvenile divisions; founding member of the Teen Drug and Alcohol Prevention Task Force in Dorchester County.
- Trained as child counsel in family law matters.
- Implemented a Criminal Mediation Program at the State’s Attorney’s Office-the first of its kind on the Eastern Shore. Michelle is also a certified mediator.
- First chairperson for the Dorchester County Child Fatality Review Team.
- Former member of the Dorchester County Drug Task Force.
- Tried and won the first ever Shaken Baby Syndrome case in Dorchester County, against medical experts considered foremost in the country.
- Tried and won the first ever Drug Kingpin case in Dorchester County.
- Exceeded all prior environmental benchmarks in the division headed at the Attorney General’s Office.
A Few of Michelle’s Recent Successful Cases
2017: Obtained dismissal in a First Degree Murder case where client was facing life without the possibility of parole in Dorchester County.
2017: Personal Injury car accident recovery of $530,000 in Frederick County.
2017: Obtained full third party custody of child for grandmother in Dorchester County.
2017: Multiple successful defenses in protective order cases in Dorchester County.
2017: Won case for elderly client who was being sued for thousands of dollars in Dorchester County.
2017: Able to successfully negotiate a second degree assault conviction with time served sentence in 2 separate rape and sexual assault cases in Dorchester County.
2017: Obtained a dismissal in a felony drug case in Wicomico County.
2017: Obtained a not guilty in a weapons case following a successful suppression motion in Dorchester County.
2016: Obtained thousands of dollars in judgment for small business owner in Dorchester County.
2016: Obtained a probation before judgment on simple misdemeanor possession conviction for a client charged with felony drug possession in Wicomico County.
2016: Obtained a not guilty for client charged with felony drug possession in Talbot County, following successful suppression argument.
2016: Obtained custody of a mother’s three children from third parties following full trials in Caroline County.